a psychologist, educator and researcher with a flair for communicating modern issues in an accessible, practical way.
You can book me to speak at your event, write for your publication, comment on an issue or consult to your project or organisation.
I CONNECT WITH
I speak to parents and carers, high school and university students, teachers and educational leaders, psychologists and school counsellors, doctors and allied health professionals.
Some examples of the audiences I have worked with:
• I create dynamic professional development activities for teachers, school leaders and psychologists
• I’ve provided seminars to GPs and paediatricians
• I’ve been a keynote speaker at a film festival gala fundraiser for 400 people
• I give talks to school assemblies and P&C meetings
• I moderate panels at conferences
• I present ‘playshops’ for Millennials and urban creatives
As both a psychologist and BOSTES accredited teacher I am well positioned to discuss issues from a range of perspectives, backed by recent research and trends in the online space, in an accessible way for all participants.
THE TOPICS I'M
My main area of expertise is around the ‘psychology of technology’ and issues relating to the impacts of digital devices on society, learning and behaviour.
Other areas and key words include:
• Advocacy for Adolescents: Youth rights, contemporary issues facing ‘screenagers’
• Mental Health & Wellbeing: depression, anxiety, the psychology of technology
• Digital Parenting: changes and challenges
• Technology: screentime, digital trends, digital citizenship, social media
• Videogames: alternative & serious games, impacts & benefits of gaming gaming.
• Digital Nutrition: healthy online habits, digital detoxing, digital diets
I have created Digital Nutrition, a framework for promoting healthy digital habits and encouraging Digital Citizenship – I present to both young people and parents on how to implement these ideas.
WATCH ME IN ACTION
My TEDx talk was presented in May 2016 and I regularly am asked to do live media interviews on radio and TV, a selection of which you can view on the Media page.
WRITER AND BLOGGER
My comments are sought after as I have the ability to digest research into user-friendly analysis and practical strategies.
I have commented on a range of psychological and social issues from self harm and #selfies to technology overuse/addiction and positive gaming for publications including Dolly, Cleo, Cosmo, Essential Kids and for ABC local and Fairfax News radio.
I’ve been a guest on Conversations with Richard Fidler on Radio National and on ABC Local Radio’s Overnights. I was a spokesperson for the Australian Psychological Society’s Stress and Wellbeing Survey for #PsychWeek 2015.
I started writing in 1988, when I wrote my first novella about the First Fleet (followed the year after with a sequel on the Gold Rush!).
My writing appears online in Daily Life , The Huffington Post Australia and Junkee, and spans a range of issues from conception and parenting to social media and technology ‘addiction’.
I have completed a 4th year psychology thesis and am undertaking a Masters of Applied Science at Sydney University, demonstrating my ability to write for academic audiences.